Our Home - Notes about the Construction of our cottage

We have been lucky to have had a discussion with a member of the Société Jersiaise Geology Section about the stone used to construct the cottage.

The bottom of this quoin still retains the marks left by the wooden wedges which were used to split this piece of granite.

This description of the method was published in a local magazine in 1966 “The old method of splitting the stone was to chisel the holes in the granite and fill each with a peg of wood. The wood was then soaked with water, and the quarrymen would retire for the night. Upon their arrival at work in the morning, the block would be found to be split from top to to toe — by the force of the expansion of the water-soaked wood”.

The History of Quarrying in Jersey.

 

 

 

 

wp80c1d684_0f.jpg
wp890edccb.png
wpb894696d_0f.jpg
wp0e6f0bca_0f.jpg

 

 

In contrast, the piece of granite next to the granite seat on the patio has round marks that indicate that it was split using metal rods.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When we bought the cottage the roof was a mix of poor quality slate and fibre-cement, we have replaced these with Welsh slates from the Cwt-y-Bugail quarry in north Wales which has been producing slates since 1840.

 

Cwt-y-Bugail means “Shepherd’s Hut”.